Essence of the Role
The Detail Drafter/CNC Programmer aids the Project Engineering Manager for various drafting functions as well as the Manufacturing Manager by programming the CNC machines.
- Collaborative – Work together to achieve success. Respect other team members. No “not my job” attitude. No finger pointing. Set up team members to succeed. Never use the term “they” when speaking internally – it’s “us”.
- Sharing – Share individual experiences and knowledge to help others. Strive to continually improve processes to be part of the solution. Teach and be open to be taught.
- Flexibility – Work anywhere capable. Grow skills and knowledge. Have ability to adapt. Monitor situations and adjust accordingly. Don’t give up. Be quick to “yes”. Take initiative. Offer to help. Flex hours to meet demands.
- Integrity – Do what you say you are going to do. Do not start or spread rumors, gossip or innuendo. Follow through. Take responsibility for mistakes.
|Relationships||Modifies communication style to fit the personality and culture of others. Fosters partnerships with internal and external customers. Uses a variety of approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreements and conflicts.|
|Integrity||Utilizes company values. Makes most people feel comfortable in his or her presence. Able to exercise a great deal of patience in dealing with clients, co-workers, vendors and outside professionals. Professional, confident and dependable.|
|Commitment||Ensures that the department meets, or exceeds, established guidelines for standards of performance.|
|Innovation||Self-starting individual who can concentrate on detail. Able to focus his or her efforts, and the efforts of others.|
|Team||Attains company goals and objectives through teamwork and cooperation between all individuals.|
|Passion||Expresses genuine excitement and commitment to other employees regarding the company’s mission and the work group’s efforts. Openly values others and exhibits a genuine sense of community and togetherness.|
- Prepare detailed drawings for products or equipment for design layouts including electrical or mechanical components, parts or assemblies illustrating views of all sections.
- Calculate necessary dimensions and determine needed quantities of materials and parts.
- Prepare clear, complete and accurate working plans and detail drawings from rough or detailed sketches or notes for engineering or manufacturing purposes per specified dimensions by Computer Aided Design (CAD) system.
- Use CAD equipment to provide support to engineering by preparing routine layouts, detail drawings, assembly drawings, sketches and diagrams that include all views and dimensions necessary for manufacturing.
- Analyze job orders, drawings, blueprints, specifications, and design data to determine best method to fabricate parts.
- Use nesting software to best utilize material and meet due dates.
- Program to ensure fabricated parts are to specifications using laser, turret punch, brake press, saws, and other fabrication equipment.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to machine products and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Revise programs to eliminate errors and retest programs to check that problems have been resolved.
- Enter computer commands to store or retrieve parts, patterns, graphic displays or programs that transfer data to other media.
- Generate shop packets per shipping schedule. Sort shop orders into groups to maximize materials utilization and minimize machine setup time.
- Complete jobs in a timely fashion according to Company standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Background and experience in all facets of mechanical and electrical engineering as well as CNC fabrication.
- Knowledge of CNC programming using ProNest or TruTops Boost.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common technical journals and blueprints.
- Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Capable of making advanced dimensional calculations.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as basic measurement, area, angles and trigonometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology such as applying principles, techniques, procedures and equipment to the design and production of conveyor material handling and services.
- Knowledge of machines and tools including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Ability to calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and Vernier calipers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, AutoCAD and general internet software.
- Excellent communication skills including telephone and writing skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Ability to use common office equipment such as a fax machine, copier, multi-line phone system, computer equipment and peripherals.
- Fluency in the English language (read, write and speak) as the overwhelming majority of clients, suppliers and subordinates communicate primarily in that language.
- Drafter Certificate form technical college is preferred.
- One (1) or two (2) years of related experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- S/he should be willing to attend additional training to upgrade his/her education and/or sharpen any skill deficiencies.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience as a CNC Fabricator/Programmer in a related business.
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience preferred.
- A minimum of two (2) years of Detail Drafter experience.