Essence of the Role
The Operations Manager develops policies consistent with company policies and objectives as well as coordinates schedules based on sales level and production capacity. S/he oversees utilization and maintenance of buildings and equipment, directs facility changes and plans the use of materials and human resources.
- Collaborative – work together to achieve success. Respect other team members. No “not my job” attitude. No finger pointing. Setup team members to succeed. Never use the term “they” when speaking internally – it is “us”.
- Sharing – share individual experiences and knowledge to help others. Strive to continually improve processes to be part of the solution. Teach and be open to being taught.
- Flexibility – Work anywhere capable. Grow skills and knowledge. Have ability to adapt. Monitor situations and adjust accordingly. Don’t give up. Be quick to “yes”. Offer to help. Flex hours to meet demands.
- Integrity – do what you say you are going to do. Do not start or spread rumors, gossip or innuendo. Follow through. Take responsibility for mistakes.
- Relationships – modifies communication style to fit the personality and culture of others. Fosters partnerships with internal and external customers. Uses a variety of approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreements and conflicts.
- Integrity – utilizes company values. Makes most people feel comfortable in his or her presence. Able to exercise a great deal of patience in dealing with clients, co-workers, vendors and outside professionals. Professional, confident and dependable.
- Commitment – ensures that the department meets, or exceeds, established guidelines for standards of performance. Puts plans in place to identify inefficiencies, overcomes/breaks down, barriers and manages improvement initiatives daily. Dedicated to constantly inquiring into the nature of the current reality.
- Innovation – self-starting individual who can concentrate on detail. Able to focus his or her efforts, and the efforts of others, on the initiation and implementation of quality assurance, inventory control, purchasing, shipping/receiving, manufacturing, engineering, job bidding & drawing to establish and maintain guidelines for standards of performance.
- Team – attains company goals and objectives through teamwork and cooperation between all individuals.
- Passion – expresses genuine excitement and commitment to other employees regarding the company’s mission and the work group’s efforts. Openly values and exhibits a genuine sense of community and togetherness.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the hiring and training of managers and operational staff.
- Oversee the daily workflow of all related departments.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data and metrics.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and oversee operations activities in the organization, ensuring development and implementation of efficient operations and cost-effective systems to meet current and future needs of the organization.
- Create and execute strategies to control operating costs and drive operational efficiency.
- Ensure that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations.
- Establish quantitative and qualitative metrics KPI’s, guidelines and standards by which the Company’s efficiencies and effectiveness can be evaluated and then identify opportunities for improvement.
- Establishes, implements, and communicates the strategic direction of the organization’s operations.
- Collaborates with executive leadership to develop and meet company goals while supplying expertise and guidance on operations projects and systems.
- Collaborates with other departments to carry out the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline organizational processes and use of resources and materials.
- Ensures that departmental decisions and project plans such as those for staffing, development, organization, material efficiency, hardware acquisitions, and facilities are in line with the organization’s business plan and vision.
- Establishes, communicates, and implements operations-related policies, practices, standards, and security measures to ensure effective and consistent support and execution.
- Establishes and administers the operational budget.
- Presents periodic performance reports and metrics to the CEO and other leadership.
- Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies and trends in operations management.
- Identifies training needs and ensures proper training is developed and provided.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Background and experience in all facets of mechanical engineering, reading and interpreting of blueprints, purchasing, shipping and receiving, quality control, training, estimating and manufacturing.
- Lead, motivate, and support a large team in an engineering and manufacturing environment, including implementation of career development and problem resolution.
- Ability to read and understand scopes of work, as well as research and analyze customer designs, specifications, manuals.
- Oversee materials and inventory management.
- Conduct budget reviews and report cost plans to upper management.
- Ability to carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in business management, Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in Operations or Manufacturing management.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Knowledge of general business software and aptitude to learn new applications.
- Highly trained in conflict management and business negotiation processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills